Reflex sympathetic dystrophy treatment should be performed by a specialist and experienced doctor. With its new term, it is called CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndroma) and is in the group of complex neuropathic pains. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy is one of the diseases that are difficult to diagnose and treat. RSD orthopedics can be seen after their trauma or orthopedic surgery. This discomfort is mainly seen in the arms and legs. Studies show that women are more common than men.
What Are the Symptoms of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy?
Reflex sympathetic dystrophy symptoms starts with heat and color change in the painful area in the first periods. In the first stages of the disease, complaints of edema and burning pain can be made. In addition, sensitivity is felt in the painful area.
This disease, which makes itself felt with increasingly severe pain in the first periods, can spread to the whole body over time if not treated. It can cause loss of function in the joints and cause disorders such as atrophy. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy ankle or after wrist fractures. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy disease progression;
- Painful stimuli are transferred to the nervous system due to the injury that occurs during the initial period of the disease.
- Injuries begin in the painful area and these injuries cause extreme pain.
- The resulting pain causes spasm in the vessels, swelling in the painful area, loss of movement in the joints.
- The result is edema, limitation of movement, severe pain.
How to Treat Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy?
Drug therapy, physical therapy and exercise are recommended for reflex sympathetic dystrophy treatment. Most of the time, the process supported by physical therapy and medication is sufficient for treatment. In drug therapy;
- Muscle relaxant creams and drugs
- Antidepressant drugs
- Analgesic drugs
- Antirheumatic drugs
- The use of calcitonin and inhibitors is recommended by the doctor and can be used individually or together.
Supportive physical therapy process and drug therapy process are continued together with recommended exercises.