dieting PKU is an action that patients with Phenylketonuria have to do for their health. Phenylketonuria is a disease that prevents a substance called phenylalanine found in foods from being metabolized. If left untreated, it can cause severe mental retardation and serious nervous system diseases in babies.
Foods Forbidden to Eat in PKU Diet
Patients with phenylketonuria must adhere to a specific diet. In this diet list, there are foods that are forbidden to be consumed, can be consumed freely and should be consumed limitedly. Phenylketonuria sample diet list
The foods that can never be found in can be listed as follows;
- It is strictly forbidden to consume milk and dairy products. It is forbidden to consume ayran, milk, yoghurt, cheese and all foods made with them.
- Eggs should never be consumed.
- Consumption of ready-made products such as cakes, cookies, crackers and pastries is prohibited.
- It is forbidden to consume dried fruits, including all varieties.
- It is forbidden to consume legumes such as dry kidney beans, pods and beans.
- It is strictly forbidden to consume meat and meat products. Shellfish, sausage, soudjouk, bacon, turkey meat, etc. not all products should be consumed.
- It is forbidden to consume wheat, corn bread, rye and all normal bread types.
- It is forbidden to consume animal internal organs such as kidney, liver and brain.
- It is forbidden to consume products that contain phenylalanine and aspartame, such as beverages, food and chewing gum.
Foods That Are Free to Eat in the PKU Diet
Following the PKU diet Patients with phenylketonuria
The foods that are free to consume can be listed as follows;
- Plain rock candy
- Plain Turkish Delight
- Corn starch
- Tea sugar
- Compote juice
- Apple juice
- Cola drinks
Restricted Foods in PKU Diet
The foods that should be consumed in a limited way in can be listed as follows;
- Bakery foods